Monday, August 09, 2010

::recipe::

Well, there are a billion recipes to choose from but I think that today I will share my chili recipe with you guys. Especially since I'll be making this tonight. The amount I will be making will be good for two people and leftovers will last up to three days. I know that chili's are usually made with beef or even pork but I have decided on a healthier alternative: ground turkey. Yum. I don't eat beef in general and pork is a bit fattier then turkey so we will go with this instead. This chili is so delish and of course you can substitute any sort of veggies you prefer in it. I like to use alot of beans to keep that meaty texture. Anywho, hopefully you enjoy this delicious chili recipe! Let me know how yours turns out and if you have any substitutes that you used to make it even better. :)


Oh and on another note as well ~ make sure you have a big pot to cook this in! I learned the hard way. :P And don't put too much cumin! It is quite strong, if you do find that you accidentally went overboard then counteract that with a bit more sugar.


 
Ingredients

2 pounds lean ground turkey
1 (46 fluid ounce) can tomato juice
1 (29 ounce) can tomato sauce
2 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
2 (15 ounce) can white kidney beans, drained and rinsed
2 medium sized onions chopped
1/2 of a chopped green bell pepper
1/4 of a red/yellow & orange bell pepper chopped
1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon white sugar
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/4 cup chili powder



Directions

Place ground turkey in a large, deep pot along with your onions. Cook over medium-high heat until evenly brown. Break the turkey apart in a crumble while cooking ( I also add some salt and pepper to this to add a bit more flavor ).

Afterwards, add all the rest of your ingredients along with your spices ( you can also add mushrooms, corn, celery or any other type of vegetable into your chili as well ~ I will usually add small button mushrooms cut in half ).

Cover your pot and let simmer on a low to medium heat for about an hour and a half. Make sure to check back on the chili to make sure that all the tomato juice/sauce doesn't bubble up to the top.

When it's all cooked then serve with cheese and sour cream. :)



Nutritional Information
Amount Per Serving Calories: 280
Total Fat: 13.5g
Cholesterol: 55mg


 
PS. I originally got the idea of this chili recipe from allrecipes.com "It's Chili by George!". I did tweak it quite a bit though. You can find a bunch more delicious recipes from this site as well! Enjoy!
 
 
-S*

No comments:

Post a Comment