Tuesday, December 14, 2010

::more:delicious:goodness::

Another delicious recipe ~ this time a soup.
I am pretty picky when it comes to soups. I only like borsch {which doesn't matter since I recently developed an allergy to beets so that's out} and chicken noodle soup.
I don't eat beef, so I can't have anything beefy I guess...
Oh! There is a delicious pickle soup that my Mom makes. Some people are afraid of the words pickle and soup together, but trust me, it's soooo good. It's delicious with quite the flavor punch. I will have to bug my Mom for her recipe and try and share it on here.
Anyways, I have never really tried mushroom soup - unless it was in a package with the name "Mr. Noodle's" on it {technically not real soup...nor healthy for you}.
So I decided to share an actual REAL mushroom soup recipe with you guys.
I will definitely be trying this one at some point this week.


Quickest Mushroom-Barley Soup

Have a pot of soup ready in just a half hour with quick-cooking barley. Lemon juice, parsley and Parmesan wake up the mushrooms. Sauteing mushrooms and aromatics quickly builds a foundation of flavour. Finish the soup by adding remaining ingredients and simmering breifly.

Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Serves: 4

Ingredients
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 1/4 pounds white mushrooms, trimmed and sliced
1 medium red onion, chopped
2 garlic clothes, minced
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
Coarse salt and ground pepper
4 1/2 cups canned reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
1 cup quick cooking barley
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 chunk (1 ounce) Parmesan, shaved with a vegetable peeler

Directions
1. In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high. Add mushrooms, onion, garlic and thyme; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables have softened, 6 to 8 minutes.
2. Add broth and 2 cups water to pan; bring to a boil over high. Reduce heat to a simmer; add barley, and cook until tender, about 10 minutes. Remove soup from heat, stiry in parsley and lemon juice. Serve garnished with Parmesan.

Helpful Hint
Quick-cooking barley is pre-steamed and takes only 10 minutes to cook (regular pearl barley takes more then twice the amount of time and requires a lot more liquid).



-S.*

(Source: Martha Stewart Living Website)

No comments:

Post a Comment