Tuesday, December 21, 2010

::recipe::

Foooooood.
Okay ~ so I am the type of girl that thinks it's wrong to mix fruit into a salad like I think instant potatoes are wrong...{yes, you Kevin! Lol.}.
But you know, if it were so bad, then why do people praise salads like these? The salads that have raspberries in them, apples, citrus fruits and the like. I gotta be honest. I have never tried any of the above in my salad because I am just too afraid.
I'm not so much afraid of nuts in my salads but am skeptical of it as well. I always used to just eat my salads with veggies ~ that's it.
But I think I may have to try a salad out at some point with some fruit in it...
Who know's maybe I will love it...and then I will have a new culinary obsession. But something is telling me that my tastebuds may be a bit put off.
But what the heck, lets give it a go.
The other day I was at the LCBO {Liquor Control Board of Ontario} to grab some wine and vodka {vodka for my drunken tomatoes - they are marinating now} and the LCBO always has a seasonal "Food & Wine" magazine that comes out with some great recipes and great wine recommendations and how to pair the two together.
They also have these little cards in the store with a lovely picture and on the back a recipe that pertain's to the image on the other side.
So...I found a recipe that kinda intrigued me so I think that I may give this a shot on the week off that I have for the Christmas holidays.
If you guys try it before me then let me know what you think!
And let me know in general what you guys think of the whole veggie and fruits mixed together craze in "salads".
Bon Appetit!


Chicory Salad with Ontario Pear, Walnut and Maple Vinaigrette

{This recipe can be found on the LCBO website and is by Marilyn Bentz-Crowley. They have a printer friendly version on the site.}

The slight sweetness of the maple syrup and earthiness of the walnuts contribute to the uniqueness of this salad.
Serves 6 to 8.


Ingredients
1/2 cup (125 mL) walnuts
3 tbsp (45 mL) cider vinegar
3 tbsp (45 mL) olive oil
1 tbsp (15 mL) maple syrup
1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
Pinch freshly ground black pepper
1 crisp ripe peaer
12 cups (3 L) torn mixed chicory, such as curly endive, Belgium endive and radicchio

Directions
1. Preaheat over to 350ºF (180ºC).

2. Coarseley chop walnuts; spread on a baking sheet. Bake 5 minutes. Stir. Continue baking another 3 to 5 minutes or until walnuts are lightly browned and fragrant. Cool.

3. To make vinaigrette, whisk vinegar with olive oil, maple syrup, salt and pepper.

4. Core and slice pear. Place chicory and pear in a large salad bowl. Toss with vinaigrette until leaves are shiny. Scatter with walnuts; serve right away.

Make-Ahead Tip
Toast walnuts and store airtight in the refrigerator for a week or more. Make vinaigrette and store in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 days. Bring to room temperature and whisk again before tossing salad. Wash chicory and spin dry. Wrap in a paper towel and place in a plastic bag. Store in regrigerator for 2 to 3 days.


So there you have it. Let me know what you guys think of it and if I should try it. Haha. No, I will definitely have this in my recipe queue. I am nervous about trying it, but will nonetheless. :)


-S.*

No comments:

Post a Comment