Sunday, December 19, 2010

::the:lead:up::

Well, it's almost Christmas time. I love the lead up to Christmas more then anything. And my favorite part of it isn't particularly Christmas Day as much as it is Christmas Eve.
It's funny, because then after Christmas is done you sometimes may feel like there is nothing more to look forward to {even though there are a tun of things}...I guess that is why alot of people get depressed during the Winter season. That probably isn't the only reason...the weather has alot to do with it as well. When it's always super freezing cold and snowy outside, there isn't much to do except keep tucked in at home.
It's getting colder and colder here and the nights are very long so that is why we need to keep occupied. I love {obviously} to blog as well as read and watch good movies and try out different recipes.
Right now I am reading a book my Mom sent over to me to check out...it's by Harlan Coben and it's called "Play Dead" ~ it's pretty good so far, mind you I am only 40 pages in but so far so good. Harlan is one of my favorite authors. I think my most favorite author is Dean Koontz. He has some really great books out there. These two authors write alot about mystery and what have you. Dean Koontz is almost like Stephen King; what with his supernatural connotations in his stories and Harlan is more like Dean with none of the unknown type material.
But that is a book that I am reading at the moment, not to mention reading the blogs that I follow as well as cookbooks and magazine. I am trying to get into more fitness related things as I want to be a healthier version of myself in 2011. Even though I quit smoking I gotta stop drinking so much wine, eating so much crap and leading a sedentary lifestyle.
So that is one thing that I would like to change. I definitely don't want to say that it's my resolution, because something like this shouldn't be considered a resolution but just a way of life. And I just want to focus more on it in the new year.
Anyways, I recently bought the December 2010 issue of Martha Stewart's Everyday Food and there are A LOT of recipes for this holiday season. This little magazine has a tun of great and delicious recipes to try out.
There was one that caught my eye - I thought "Hmm disgusting ~ YET interesting!" ~ this is something that I am going to soon try out and I am really curious as to how it turns out and tastes like and I am sure that alot of you would probably agree as well.
So here is the recipe of the weekend as I usually don't post during the weekends but my boyfriend is sitting here on his iPhone addicted to some slots game that he stumbled across this morning. Lol.
More editorials will be on their way tomorrow as well as more posts.
Bon Appetit!



Slow-Cooker Bacon Jam

Google Images
Makes 3 cups
Active Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 4 HR


Ingredients
1-1/2 pounds sliced bacon, cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces
2 medium yellow onions, diced small
3 garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup packed dark-brown sugar
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
3/4 cup brewed coffee

Directions
1. In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium-high, stirring occasionally, until fat is rendered and bacon is lightly browned, about 20 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towels to drain. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon fat from skillet (reserve for another use); add onions and garlic and cook until onions are translucent, about 6 minutes. Add vinegar, brown sugar, maple syrup and coffee and bring to a boil, stirring and scraping up browned bits from skillet with a wooden spoon, about 2 minutes.
Add bacon and stir to combine.

2. Transfer mixture to a 6-quart slow cooker and cook on high, uncovered until liquid is syrupy, 3-1/2 to 4 hours.  Transfer to a food processor; pulse until coarsely chopped. Let cool, then refrigerate in airtight containers, up to 4 weeks.

{Per two tablespoons: 191 calories; 12.6 g fat (4.9 g sat fat); 10.8 g protein; 8.1 g carb; 0.2 g fiber}


Told you that it was something different! Weren't expecting that one, were ya? It sounds odd but super tasty all at the same time.
If you guys give it a shot, let me know what you think! I am really curious to know if it's pretty sweet or if it is totally bacony with a kick of sweetness.
Either way, I think it's something to definitely try at some point soon! :)


-S.*

(Source: Martha Stewart Everyday Food December 2010 issue - pg. 100.)

No comments:

Post a Comment