Friday, December 03, 2010

::zesty:side::

Alot of the time, what keeps people out of the kitchen is the worry of messing a recipe up. You sit there and peruse cookbooks, decide on one and try it out and the very first time that you try one and it messes up, you swear off cooking or baking ever again. It shouldn't be like that. I started cooking for myself when I moved out of my home.
I had to start cooking for myself! I began just heating up alot of frozen dinners for me and my boyfriend after work. They weren't the greatest to say the least, but they fed us.
Afterwards, I would write my Mom and ask her step by step directions on how to make certain things. The first thing I beleive I made in my new apartment was "Breakfast for Dinner". My Mom used to make this all the time, it is beyond divine!
It's eggs, sunny-side up, boiled potatoes, green beans, cauliflower and toasted bread crumbs.
Let me tell you, there were ALOT of dishes to do after this dinner, but it was worth it.
Afterwards I went to try out my Dad's garlic shrimp recipe {so fragrant and super delicious, definitely a great appetizer for guests and it's always a hit} and then lots of pasta. Pasta is definitely my weakness. Then, I got hooked, especially the last two years, trying different things in the kitchen. It is easy to get stuck in a rut and do the same thing over and over again, but we gotta just try different recipes! I know food isn't cheap and you're afraid of messing up and it's disappointing, but you will never know unless you try! So pull up those sleeves and get to cooking, people! Try different stuff and if there is something that you tried that is beyond amazing then share on here! :)

Here is another side dish that I found on the Food Network website. It's by Anna Olson {show - Fresh with Anna Olson} and it sounds and looks absolutely delectible!
Bon Appetit!



Creme Fraiche Mashed Potatoes

Green onions and creme fraiche add zest to this side.
Yield: 4

Ingredients
1 1/2 pounds red mini potatoes
1 clove garlic, sliced {Globetrotter Note: garlic+potatoes=absolute heaven!}
3 tablespoons butter
3/4 cup creme fraiche (or full-fat sour cream)
1 green onion, chopped {Globetrotter Note: I also like to use dill weed. Yum.}
salt and pepper

Directions
1. Cut mini potatoes into quarters and bring to a boil with garlic in salted water. Simmer until potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes. Drain and return potatoes to pot. Add butter and roughly stir potatoes with a fork to mash and melt in butter. Stir in creme fraiche and green onion, again roughly mashing - lumps should be visible. Season to taste and serve.


I absolutely loooooooooooove potatoes. So I am super excited to try this recipe out. Especially with something as heavy as creme fraiche. Hey! Who said you gotta eat super healthy all the time!? You gotta indulge. ;)


-S.*

(Photo Source: FoodNetwork.ca)

No comments:

Post a Comment