Tuesday, February 22, 2011

::comfort:food::

I may have failed to mention that the two most beloved things in my life are pasta & potatoes.
Yummmmmmmmmy.
I obsess about these two things probably on a daily basis...I know it's not too too healthy to eat these everyday as pasta {especially} is loaded with calories.
And I can totally see myself ballooning up to a 5,000lb woman if I keep it up. Lol.
Anyways, I am going to share a comfort-food recipe with you guys that I have yet to try {I know I know, you'll be shocked once you see below}, and will probably try this as soon as humanly possible sans the onions, or maybe just a teeny bit of onions {not a huge onion fan here}. So try it and let me know how you like!
Bon Appetit!


Classic Scalloped Potatoes
White some old-fashioned dishes don't live up to their reputation, this golden crusty-topped layered potato favourite certainly does - in spades.

Makes 6 servings.
There are 256 calories per serving.

Ingredients
6 Yukon Gold potaoes (about 2lb/1kg)
1 small onion, sliced
Sauce:
1/4 cup (50 mL) butter
1/4 cup (50 mL) all-purpose flour
1 tsp (5 mL) salt
1/2 tsp (2 mL) pepper
1/2 tsp (2 mL) dried thyme or dried marjoram
2-1/2 cups (625 mL) milk

Preparation
Sauce: In saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add flour, salt, pepper and thyme; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk; cook, whisking constantly, until boiling and thickened, 5 to 8 minutes. Set aside.
Peel and thinly slice potatoes. Layer one-third in greased 8-inch (2 L) square glass baking dish or casserole; spread half of the onions over top. Repeat layers. Arrange remaining potatoes over top. Pour sauce over top, using tip of knife to ease sauce between layers.
Cover and back in 350 F (180 C) oven for 1 hour. Uncover and bake until lightly browned and potatoes are tender, about 30 minutes longer. Let stand for 5   minutes before serving.



-S.*

{Source: Canadian Living & Google Images}

No comments:

Post a Comment