Friday, September 30, 2011

::turkey:time::

Thanksgiving.
Nomnom. 
Back home in Poland we don't have Thanksgiving but since we moved to Canada since we were little my parents definitely celebrated all the holidays that happen here...and still do. A lot of the times we would go to my cousins for dinner where there would be a ginormous turkey with lots of other side dishes - not your typical American / Canadian Thanksgiving of course, but even better. ;)
Since my parents moved to California and I am now on my own and living with my boyfriend I am trying to uphold family tradition as much as I can. 
Sometimes it can be difficult as my time is usually filled doing things with my boyfriends family. I hope to one day just have my own traditions and to do my own thing. I think it would be cool to do just that, your own thing. 
I also wish though, to be able to spend more holidays with my own family as they all live all over the world and it's a little difficult to get together at times. 
Anyways...
Last year I made my first turkey on my own, in my own stove. As much as it looks hideous when it came out of the oven, it was damn delicious. 
Oh, I forgot to mention to all my American/European/Worldly followers that Thanksgiving in Canada is next weekend.
So therefore, since I can't make my own Thanksgiving turkey that weekend {boyfriends family is having a shindig} then I am very much considering doing my own thing this weekend. :) 
It also just gives me an excuse to pig out like there is no tomorrow...and this way we will also have a crapload of leftovers for the week so a lot of grocery shopping and meal planning isn't needed. 
Mind you, I didn't plan this very well and I have A LOT to do if I plan on making a turkey...and my fridge is so tiny that I am going to have to borrow my boyfriends Moms fridge for half of our food. Oh well, anyways!
Making a turkey can be tricky business and there are a lot of sites out there that can help ya out with picking out and turkey...
Obviously, my go-to lady {other then my Mom when it comes to asking for help in the kitchen} is Martha Stewart {who else!?}.
So here is a turkey recipe - to get ya'll ready for the delightly delicious Thanksgiving weekend. :) 


Roast Turkey with Herb Butter
The herb butter can be made a day ahead and refrigerated. Return to room temperature before using. 
Everyda Food, November 2005

Prep Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 5 hours
Yield: Serves 10

Ingredients
5 tablespoons butter, room temperature
1 tablespoon each chopped fresh rosemary, sage, and thyme
Coarse salt and ground pepper
1 whole turkey {about 12 pounds}, thawed if frozen, rinsed and patted dry, neck reserved {set aside giblets for stuffing, if desired}
Cornbread and sausage stuffing {I will pass on this one}
4 to 6 large carrots, halved crosswise
2 large onions, cut into 8 wedges
2 stalks celery, halved crosswise

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees with rack in the lowest position.
Make herb butter: In a small bowl, mix together 4 tablespoons butter with chopped herbs; season generously with salt and pepper.
Prepare and stuff the turkey.
Loose skin: Working from the neck end, slide fingers under skin until you reach the end of the breast, being careful not to tear the skin; rub herb butter under the skin.
Fill neck cavity: Place turkey breast side down. Fill neck cavity with stuffing; avoid packing. Close up by folding skin over and fastening with skewers or trussing needles.
Tuck wings: Turn turkey over; bend wing tips underneath bird so they stay in place {you may have to break the bones}. Loosely fill large cavity with stuffing. 
Tie legs: Using cotton kitchen twine, tie legs together securely {they will overlap} so bird retains its shape and moisture during cooking. 
Cut neck into pieces; mix with carrots, onions, celery, and 2 cups water in a large roasting pan. Set roasting rack over vegetables in pan. 
Life turkey onto rack; rub with remaining tablespoons butter. Season generously with salt and pepper. Tent turkey loosely with foil. Roast 1 hours, then baste ever 30 minutes with pan liquids, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of thigh {avoiding bones} registers 125 degrees, about 3 hours.
Remove foil; raise oven heat to 400 degrees. Continue roasting, basting occasionally, until thigh reaches 180 degrees, 45 to 60 minutes more. Tent with foil if bird browns too quickly; add more water if pan becomes dry. Transfer turkey to a serving platter; cover loosely with foil, and let it rest at least 30 minutes before carving. 



I plan on making my turkey this year with stuffing, corn and peas, gravy {last years gravy was baaaad, lol}, garlic mashed potatoes and yellow wax beans. :) 
What are you guys going to have with your turkey for Thanksgiving? 


-S.*

No comments:

Post a Comment