Monday, November 21, 2011

::cheat:days::

So since I have quit my job I am focusing more on taking care of myself mentally and physically. Today I completed Level 1 of the 30 Day Shred by Jillian Micahel's and it kicked.my.ass. Seriously. I was all wobbly afterwards. Not only that, but I had a nice healthy lunch {tuna fish with salad} and went for a brisk 15 minute walk in the afternoon as well as lifted some weights. So I think I'm on the right track. I might lift some more weights later on. Dinner will be leftover chili with cheese, which is apparently around 220 calories per serving. So really, 500 calories for dinner is NOT a bad idea at all. Although the wine consumption might have to be turned down a notch - waste of calories. 
Now...to proceed with the point of this post...a lot of people eat healthy and exercise all week and than binge on the weekends...or just eat plain unhealthy shit on Saturday and Sunday because they think they "can". There is a lot of speculation with regards to this. Some people say that it doesn't hinder your weight loss goals and others say that it does. 
I really have no problem with eating healthy - healthy food can be fantastic. My vice is beverages, whether it be wine or a latte from Starbucks. Do I really want to waste calories on drinks? The bottom line? Yes. I do. Sometimes I'd like to unwind on a Saturday night or have a gorgeously creamy latte on Sunday morning while perusing the bookshelves in Chapters. 
It's seriously like a huge fluffy warm blanket enveloping you on a cold and snowy day. The warmth you feel...well, a lot of people like it. Lol. 
The problem though with drinking alcoholic beverages, is that sometimes you become uninhibited {depends on how much you drink} and eventually you will reach for your iPhone or Blackberry and order pizza because you are absolutely randomly ravenous and crave the greasiest crap of life. It happens. True story. 
I've gone down that road. Where I plan on making a super healthy meal and than I have a drink or two before beginning dinner and I am just too lazy to make anything so I either order in or make the quickest thing I can think of, which is super simple spaghetti LOADED with cheese. Bad idea. 
Anyways, a friend of mine got me the entire '10/'09 back issues of Oxygen magazine for me...and I think some '08s as well and as I was going through the January 2009 issue I stumbled across a small article in there about cheat meals {page 45}, which I found interesting enough to share with you guys. 




You Ask!
We answer...
How does a cheat day affect my fat-loss goals. 
By Alicia Rewega

Q. I recently read that overindulging on weekends really adds up and can lead to a 10-pound weight gain over the course of a year. Should I avoid a "treat" day?

A. The study you're talking about was conducted by researchers at the Washington University School of Medicine. According to the evidence collected, if you eat well Monday through Friday but hang up your clean-eating shoes for the weekend, it could spell trouble for your waistline over the course of a year. {Nearly 10 pounds to be precise.}
So how can you avoid gaining weight and still enjoy a treat meal or even day on the weekend? 
"From a scientific standpoint, we know that it takes 3,500 calories of excess food intake to gain on pound," says Beverly Price, a registered dietitian, exercise physiologist and author of Nutriton Secrets for Optimal Health {Tall Tree Publishing, 1996}. 
"If you take nine pounds and multiply by 3,500 then divide 52 weeks in a year that is roughly 600 calories extra that an individual would have to consume each weekend to gain nine pounds over a year. 
These 600 calories might easily be found in two drinks, a gooey dessert or large portions when dining out. Does this mean no more weekend indulgences? According to Price, it depends on how big the cheat is. Some people really watch their food intake during the week and then relax a bit on the weekend without stuffing themselves and steadily continue to lose weight and reach their goal. In contrast, there are many people who totally "go to town" on weekends and undo any progress made during the week. 
In Price's experience, it is never a good idea to put a client on a strict diet, not allowing for any treats on the weekend. 
"I teach my clients to listen to their bodies using a hunger/fullness scale." The best way to enjoy yourself a little on the weekend is to pay attention to when you are hungry and honor the feeling but stop when you feel almost full. 

Weekend Survival Guide
Registered dietitian and exercise physiologist Beverly Price, RD, MA, RYT, offers these tips to surviving the weekend urge to overeat. 
  • Don't over-strict your food intake during the week or you will be famished by the weekend and overindulge. 
  • Choose whole foods, foods high in fiber and foods lower on the food chain {ie. more vegetarian meals that are more nutrient dense and rich in fiber}.
  • Eat more foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which are good for your heart, bones and may help prevent depression. Sources of omega-3 fatty acids include flaxseeds, wheat germ, tofu, walnuts and green leafy vegetables. 
  • Drink plenty of water. People often think they are hungry when they are actually just thirsty. 

And there you have it ladies and gents! A little fitness/health tip for the day! 
Just want to say *sorry!* for not posting more yesterday, I totally got side-tracked by being super lazy! Lol. 
Now off I go to make some chili. :) 


-S.*

No comments:

Post a Comment