Friday, November 11, 2011

::lasaaagna::


I am not a huge fan of lasagna...never was...which is absolutely bizarre because I am obsessed with pasta/spaghetti. Something is wrong with this picture...especially since there is a tun of cheese in these lasagna recipes and I love cheese...a lot. Lol. 
I guess it was because there was weird stuff in there when I tried them in the past...I hate chunky tomatoes, there are certain cheeses as well that are used that just irk me...I just want a smooth sauce-y lasagna with yummy cheese. 
So I saw this recipe on the Martha Stewart website and it sounds exactly like the kind of lasagna I would want to make and eat. 
BUT - I ain't getting whole tomatoes in sauciness. I am going to just get regular tomato sauce. I just can't stand warm chunky tomatoes. If any recipe calls for this then I just close the window or skim past it in a cookbook or magazine. Don't ask me why I hate it but I just do.
I'm a little scatter-brained today and am going to post as much as I can. Starting with this recipe - well, after the editorials. 
I would like to say a big welcome and thank you to all the new followers that are keeping an eye out on Globetrotter. This makes me super happy when I wake up and check the followers status and I see some new people there. :) Hope you're enjoying the blog and if you have any questions; feel free to ask! :) 
If you have any particular models or recipes you would like to see as well than let me know and I will do my best to post as much as I can. :) 
Anyways...enough mumbo jumbo rambling on my part and let us get on with the recipe. 

Bon Appetit!


Tomato-Sausage Lasagna
Soaking the noodles in hot tap water {while making the sauce} eliminates the need to boil them. 
Everyday Food, March 2006

Prep Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours 30 minutes
Yield: Serves 8

Ingredients
12 dried lasagna noodles {about 10 ounces}, uncooked
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1-1/2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
1/4 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
1 pound sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
2 cans {28 ounces each} whole peeled tomatoes in puree
Coarse salt and ground pepper
6 cups shredded mozzarella cheese {about 1-1/2 pounds}
3/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese {about 3 ounces}

Directions
Fill a 9-by-13-inch baking dish two-thirds of the way with hot tap water. Add noodles, and arrange them in alternating directions to prevent sticking. Let soak while preparing the sauce. 
Make sauce: Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium. Add onion, garlic, Italian seasoning, and red-pepper flakes; cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add sausage, and cook, stirring and breaking it up, until just cooked through, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes and their puree, breaking up tomatoes with a spoon; bring to a boil. Reduce to a rapid simmer, and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 20 minutes. {You should have about 8 cups of sauce.} Season with salt and pepper.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Drain noodles, transfer to a baking sheet; dry dish with paper towels. Spoon 1 cup sauce in bottom of dish. Fit 4 noodles in dish {crosswise if using shorter noodles, lengthwise if using long}, overlapping slightly. Cover with 2 cups sauce, 2 cups mozzarella, and 1/4 cup Parmesan. Repeat with another layer, then top with remaining noodles, 3 cups sauce, and the rest of mozzarella and Parmesan. Cover dish tightly with aluminum foil, and bake 1 hour. 
Remove foil, and continue baking until bubbly and browned, about 30 minutes. 
Remove from oven; let cool 20 minutes. 
Cut and serve. 


There you have it. One question though, if anyone happens to know, are you able to freeze leftover lasagna?


-S.*


No comments:

Post a Comment