Saturday, November 19, 2011

::stuffed:peppers::

Well, the weekend is here...not that it matters to me particularly because I no longer work. I really hope to find something soon so that the financial aspect of life doesn't get too difficult. Therefore I have to figure out a budget for the week. I definitely need to figure out a shopping list as well for groceries so that we have meals for the week. 
So today I will figure out what meals I will be making for the next few days - ones that are quite healthy as well. 
I watched a video on YouTube by Zuzana Light from Bodyrock.tv this morning and in the video she made stuffed peppers. The recipe looks and sounds delicious so I decided this is something that I am going to make tonight for dinner. It's not too difficult to make and is very low in calories. 
I will be using bell peppers as well and who know's I might use all four colours instead of just one. 
Anyways, here is a recipe for stuffed peppers that I found on the AllRecipes website; it was posted by Bdeger. This website is really cool because regular joes like you and I can post our recipes on there. There are so many recipes to choose from as well. Definitely a go-to website for recipes. 
This is the recipe - although I would tweak it to my tastes a little bit as well. I will share that though at the end of this post. 

Bon Appetit!


Stuffed Peppers

Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Ready In: 1 hour & 20 minutes

Ingredients
1 pound ground beef
1/2 cup uncooked long grain white rice
1 cup water
6 green bell peppers
2 {8-ounce} cans tomato sauce
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
Salt and pepper to taste
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees {175 degrees C}.

2.Place the rice and water in a saucepan, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and cook 20 minutes. In a skillet over medium heat, cook the beef until evenly browned. 

3. Remove and discard the tops, seeds, and membranes of the bell peppers. Arrange peppers in a baking dish with the hollowed sides facing upward. {Slice the bottoms of the peppers if necessary so that they will stand upright.}

4. In a bowl, mix the browned beef, cooked rice, 1 can tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Spoon an equal amount of the mixture into each hollowed pepper. Mix the remaining tomato sauce and Italian seasoning in a bowl, and pour over the stuffed peppers. 

5. Bake 1hour in the preheated oven, basting with sauce every 15 minutes, until the peppers are tender. 

Nutritional Information
Amount Per Serving   Calories: 248  |  Total Fat: 9.4g  |  Cholesterol: 46mg


And there you have it. Sounds like a delicious recipe. Almost like cabbage rolls except a lot easier to make - and faster as well. 
I would probably use fresher ingredients instead of the garlic and onion powder and I would definitely omit the beef part {don't eat beef} and use something leaner and healthier such as ground turkey. 
I would probably leave the meat raw when stuffing as well as brown up some onions to add to the stuffing as well. 
I would also use some chili flakes to kick up the flavour a notch. And I would pour the tomato sauce with some chicken stock at the bottom of a baking dish and put the peppers on top to cook. I would cover with foil and than the last little while I would uncover them so the peppers brown up a little bit. 
And that's that! Oh...maybe add a bit of cheese on top too. :)
I am really excited to try this recipe out tonight whilst watching the Leaf game. :) 


-S.*

No comments:

Post a Comment