Monday, June 04, 2012

::book:barn::

Let me loose in a bookstore and I am in heaven. Seriously. This is how much I love to read. 
To be quite honest I am not sure why more people don't read...and I don't understand why people dislike reading so much. For example, my boyfriend doesn't like reading at all...even magazines! And my closest friend Kev would prefer to look at pictures then read...a lot of people are like this!
My Mom and I are so much alike that we love to read and read as much as we can about anything and everything. I literally will read about anything! For example, I am almost done a book about the human brain - it is so interesting! 
And then I can bounce to a thriller {non-fiction} and read a cookbook from cover to cover. Nothing sounds better then to sit comfortably inside or outside with a big cup of tea and read the hours away. 
So it isn't any wonder that I order books and order them quite often and can devour them within a week. It's craziness.
My idea of a perfect Sunday is to sit on my laptop or phone and read book reviews on Amazon and decide what books I would love to get and go through my wishlists {which is honestly 10 pages long}. Lol.
And nothing is more of a piss off to me then a shitty book or one that comes in the mail destroyed. I also don't understand the Kindle/iPad bonanza - where people read books electronically. I just can't wrap my head around it. I LOVE holding the book, reading it in the bath, throwing it in my purse so it is with me wherever I go - the smell of it. The type of paper and font. It's a process. I love it all. 
So yea...this is why I share my wishlists. Because I love it when I stumble across a blog or read a magazine where there are mini book reviews. 
So here is my most recent wishlist - and maybe you'll be interested enough to check the books out yourself. :))

Happy Reading!



Dean Koontz is definitely one of my favourite non-fiction writers. I can devour his books in one sitting if possible. I love the way he writes and how is stories just flow together perfectly in a interesting yet eerie way. This book is about a man named Jimmy Tock - who is told by his dying grandfather that there are going to be 5 dates in his life that will enfold terrible events. 
That's all I am telling ya. Lol. If you want to read more then check out the Amazon site or Dean's website. But just reading that one sentence should have you wanting to know what happens in this book. I know that I do. 

"Life Expectancy" by Dean Koontz - $10.50 CA - Amazon Canada



I love self-help books and I have been getting more and more into the spiritual aspect of them. Of course everyone knows who Deepak Chopra is and I heard nothing but great reviews from several different people on this book. This would be my first book by Deepak and I am eager to see what all the "fuss" is about. 

"The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success" by Deepak Chopra - $13.36 CA - Amazon Canada



Um...do I need to explain my obsession with Giada and cookbooks...AGAIN??
This book has great reviews and the recipes are simple, easy, healthy and delicious. 
And I was born in Italy - so I should learn more about where I came from, the culture as well as the food!

"Everyday Italian" by Giada De Laurentiis - $26.96 CA - Amazon Canada



This book I saw in the latest issue of Shape magazine...this is what it says about the book {which made me immediately add this to my wishlist}. 
"Little Miss Fix-It - Overwhelmed by everything the universe is throwing at you? Don't be. In her new book, lifestyle expert Laurel House offers up valuable advice, insightful anecdotes, and actionable tips for confidently making your way with maximum class and minimum cash."
Um...yea, this book is for me. Gimme!

"QuickieChick's Cheat Sheet to Life, Love, Food, Fitness, Fashion, and Finance on a Less Than Fabulous Budget" by Laurel House - $14.43 CA - Amazon Canada


I am not sure how I heard about this book. Maybe randomly perusing the Amazon site...but it has great reviews and is about lessons on change, loss and spiritual transformation. Another self-help book. One that I would love to read.

"Letting Go of the Person You Used To Be" by Lama Surya Das - $15.16 CA - Amazon Canada


Chef Michael Smith was the first chef that I watched on Food Network back in the day. About 10 years ago I must say. Wow. He had a little show called "The Inn Chef" and I would religiously wake up at 5:30am before school during the week to watch the show. 
In a way I learned that food shouldn't be shovelled into your mouth - it's an experience...cooking is an art...we need to pay attention to what we put into our bodies and it better be freakin' delicious in the process. 

"Chef Michael Smith's Kitchen - 100 of my Favourite Easy Recipes" by Michael Smith - $20.06 CA - Amazon Canada



I read about this book in one of my Mom's magazines when I was in California. I had to wait a few months for it though as it just recently came out. 
It's all about being optimistic. 
Another self-helper. :))

"Rainy Brain, Sunny Brain" by Elaine Fox - $16.60 CA - Amazon Canada



Eat too much? Check. Drink too much? Check. Overthink? Check check checkity check. 
My boyfriend says that I "think too much" and this definitely plays a prominent role in my anxiety issues. I simply overanalyze every single thing. And it's silly because that is no way to live. So I am trying to read up as much as I can on how to deal with these issues in a healthier and calmer way. 
I think this book would be perfect for me and I just want to read it stat! 

"Eating, Drinking, Overthinking" by Susan Nolen-Hoeksema - $15.33 CA - Amazon Canada


Okay. I had to add another Giada book because I just love her. Love the shows, love the books, love her on Next FoodNetwork star, in the magazines, interviews...her recipes - let's not forget that. 
She is pretty, thin and a chef! Perfect combination - in my books anyways. How does she stay so thin you may ask - while cooking gourmet food 24/7? Apparently yoga and paddle-boarding! 
Anyways...this is just another book by her that I'd love to add. 
It's kind of like a Tyler Florence thing...I have every cookbook by him because I just love him and his cookbooks are JAM PACKED with delicious recipes and gorgeous photo's. I'm hoping to eventually get all of Giada's books as well. 

"Giada's Kitchen: New Italian Favourites" by Giada De Laurentiis - $26.96 CA - Amazon Canada


I know that some of these books are pricey - but they are way cheaper on Amazon then if you were to go to Chapters {Indigo/Barnes & Noble/etc} and buy them there. 
I also think that you can't really put a price on books. It was one of the things that my parents always allowed me to get. They never denied me books that I wanted and reading. 
My library membership was continually renewed and sometimes it was just ridiculous when I would walk in there and come out with 20 books at times! But it was alright. My Mom was totally fine with it. 
Books aren't for nerds they are for the coolest people on the planet - like me. :P

Anyways! If you guys have any of these books already, let me know! I want to know your opinion on them! I will also be posting reviews on some of the books that I received from Keverino a few weeks ago. They are fantastic! 

Anyways! I hope everyone is having a fabulous day! 
I start this post Sunday afternoon and now it is Monday morning. Lol. 

Happy Monday!


-S.*

{Source: Images from Google Images}

No comments:

Post a Comment