Thursday, September 20, 2012

::butternut:squash:soup::

I haven't posted a recipe in quite a while ~ but I have come across some amazing cookbooks with so many incredibly and mouthwatering dishes to try that I wil have to start posting them all up this weekend. As well, with the newest issue of Everyday Food ~ jampacked with amazing recipes. And I'd like to get my hands on the newest Fall issue of Food Network's magazine ~ so many seasonal dishes that are must to try this Autumn.
 
My bosses are Phillipino and in the month that I have worked for them they have showed me so many different things to try ~ such as sushi {I am obsessed!} and suggestions to just try new things; so I have been trying more Asian inspired dishes. My problem though is I need to expand my seasoning repertoire and add in more things so that my food doesn't always taste the same. This is what I am currently struggling with when trying new stirfrys and such. Mind you ~ last nights stirfry regardless was pretty fantastic. So I have been delving more and more into that cuisine. But since Fall is around the corner and here in Canada we are beginning to feel it already, I decided that I am going to share some seasonal recipes with you as well.
 
Travis tried butternut squash soup once when away on a conference and has raved about it since. I have never tried it before and never bothered to even try the recipe but have decided that I will do that now since I am on a real culinary adventure kick right now. For some reason also my favourite season to try new things and kick back relax with some cider and Food Network is in the Fall. As well, all the new shows come out during this season so that might have something to do with it also. ;)
 
Anyways, Martha Stewart's Everyday Living website is beginning to get into the Autumnal spirit as well and I found this recipe there. Make sure to give it a try and let me know what you think. I will also give this recipe a try this weekend and give you my thoughts on it.
 
Bon Appetit!
 
 
Pureed Butternut Squash Soup
Butternut squashes have a hard rind and a golden orange flesh. Similar to other types of winter squash, such as acorn, they are their best from early Fall through Winter.
Everyday Food, October 2004
 
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Yield: Serves 4
 
Ingredients
2 tablespoons butter
1 small onion, chopped
1 piece {2 inches} fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
2-3/4 pounds small butternut squash, prepared and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
1/4 cup fresh orange juice
Coarse salt and ground pepper
Sour cream {optional}
Spicy pumpkin seeds
 
Directions
1. Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook onion until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add ginger, garlic, and squash; cook, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in 4 cups water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer until squash is tender, 20 minutes.
 
2. Puree soup in two batches. When blending hot foods, allow the heat to escape to prevent splattering. Remove the cap from the hole of the blender's lid, and cover with a dish towel. Stir in juice and 1-1/2 teaspoons salt. Serve hot, with sour cream, pepper, and pumpkin seeds, if desired.
 
 
Sounds like a simple enough recipe ~ and one that would be wonderful on a chilly Fall night. :)
 
 
-S.*

No comments:

Post a Comment