Monday, March 11, 2013

::chicken:stroganoff::

Why do the weekends always go by so fast. It's so disappointing! 
This weekend definitely flew by and it was a rather quiet one. Other then some festivities and learning that Travis and I have to move out of our apartment by June! So this doesn't give us very much time; I have been scouring the internet in hopes to find something perfect. 
At the same time, I am really very excited to start this new chapter in our lives and obviously am hoping nothing but the best on our new journey. Who knows, maybe we will pick up and just move to Italy. There are no boundaries! 
Can you imagine!? Lol. 
I just randomly googled apartments for rent in Rome. Wowza. 
Gorgy. 
Anyways!
The weekend went by fast, and I should have posted recipes or something! Don't fret my pets. Lots coming today. :) 
Tonight I am going to tackle making manicotti {this is kinda a lie, I am not doing this totally from scratch}. So we will see how it goes. I did, however, find a recipe on the Recipe Girl site that looks delicious and I MUST try.
And since I have been trying more new things I will definitely be giving this a shot this week/weekend. 
So anyways, here it is!

Bon Appetit!


Chicken Stroganoff
Yield: 4 servings
Prep: 30 min // Cook: 20 min

Ingredients
6 boneless skinless chicken thighs, rinsed, trimmed of excess fat and cut into bite-sized pieces
1 tablespoon sweet paprika
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
8-ounces baby bella mushrooms, rinsed and sliced
1/4 cup vermouth
1/2 cup chicken stock or broth
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 small dried bay leaves
1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
1-pound dry egg noodles
Fresh chopped parsley, for garnish
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste

Directions
1. Toss the chicken with the paprika and a good pinch of salt and pepper. Dust it with flour.
2. Heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat - spray with nonstick spray {or add 1 tablespoon olive oil}. Add the chicken and sear until browned on all sides, about 7 minutes total. Remove from pan and set aside. 
3. Add a smidge more oil to the pan if needed, then toss in the onions and mushrooms. Saute until everything starts to brown and caramelize, 5 minutes. 
4. Deglaze the pan with vermouth and let it sizzle about 1 minute. Add the stock, tomato paste and bay leaves. Stir to combine. 
5. Nestle the chicken back in the pan {with its collected juices} and simmer until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce thickens a tad, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in yogurt and cook 2 more minutes. Give the whole mess a good pinch of salt and pepper. 
6. In the meantime, boil your egg noodles until they reach al dente {with still a bit of a bite to them}. Drain. 
7. Serve the stroganoff over a bed of noodles and garnish with parsley. 


And there you have it! My mouth is seriously watering right now...probably not a good idea to look through recipes when I skipped breakfast {bad, I know!}. 
I definitely want to try this recipe out asap. I think I would go for chicken breasts though instead of the thighs and I wonder if it is really necessary to deglaze with vermouth. I don't want to go out and buy vermouth just for one recipe. 
This is a healthier version too and I can't wait to try it!


-S.*

No comments:

Post a Comment