Tuesday, May 28, 2013

::guacamole::

In The Kitchen...

This past weekend was my birthday weekend and it was great! 
Lou'e, Trav and I did a Humane Society charity walk on Sunday and we were able to raise $281 for our local shelter, which is fantastic!
On Saturday we made our way over to Toronto to spend my day with Travis, Lou'e, my Sister Diana and her boyfriend Leyman. 
It was a great afternoon/evening with great food and good talks and a few too many Caesar's but whatever, it's my birthday weekend!
We got there in the early afternoon and immediately made our way over to Playa Cabana, a TINY {and I do mean tiny} Mexican restaurant. 
The food there was fantastic! We all basically got tacos/burrito's but the appetizer's were what made it for me. We got corn on the cob - I wasn't a huge fan of it though because the cheese was a little too much for me {I can get quite picky when it comes to cheeses} but looked absolutely amazing. Grilled and yummy. ;) We also had delicious chipotle shrimps {I love shrimps!} and the best chips and guacamole e.v.e.r. 
So now, I am on the hunt for the perfect guac recipe that I MUST try. 
So the other day I went through a bunch of recipes and found so many but decided to go the Alton Brown route. So my recipe for the day today is guacamole! Now I have to figure out where I can get those amazing chips...

Bon Appetit!

Guacamole
Recipe courtesy of Alton Brown/Food Network

Ingredients
3 Haas avocados, halved, seeded and peeled
1 lime, juiced
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 medium onion, diced
1/2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
2 Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
1 clove garlic, minced

Directions
In a large bowl, placed the scooped avocado pulp and lime juice, toss to coat.
Drain, and reserve the lime juice, after all of the avocados have been coated. Using a potato masher add the salt, cumin, and cayenne and mash. Then, fold in the onions, jalapeno, tomatoes, cilantro, and garlic. Add 1 tablespoon of the reserved lime juice. Let sit at room temperature for 1 hour and then serve. 


How crazy simple was that?! 
Definitely trying this out this weekend. 


-S.*

3 comments:

  1. I have to cook this) thanks for recipe!
    Have a fabulous time!

    Best wishes, Alexandra
    www.svetusvet.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy belated Birthday!!! :)...Looks delish! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. No problem Alexandra! :)

    Thank you BoW Designs! :)

    -Sandra.*

    ReplyDelete