Monday, April 07, 2014

::update:&:challenge::



It’s been a little more than difficult for me to do many things these days – let alone blog. I have seriously been slacking. More so than I ever have. I have just been busy with life in every aspect possible. Especially school, trying to catch up with that and when I do have some downtime I like to spend it in the bubble bath with a good book, or with my puppies – and man, of course. 
We recently purchased a new vehicle – which isn't surprising to some of you, I know. Travis doesn't keep a car for more than a year or two…and he is in love with his truck – but I guess we are just growing up and realizing that gas isn't cheap! We can spend upwards of $500 a month on just fuel to fill that gas-guzzler. So we have become more practical and have gone the fuel-efficient route and purchased a 2014 Volkswagen Passat Highline TDI (diesel). Travis, of course, had to get top of the line everything but it is going to be WAY cheaper on our wallets so we are looking forward to picking it up tonight. 

*~*~*~*

On another note – since the middle of February, up until now, I have lost a total of 22lbs. This is quite an accomplishment! I am averaging about 3lbs a week which is a lot healthier than what I have done in the past to lose weight. So I am feeling quite accomplished. I am also not restricting any foods but I am eating as clean as I possibly can. I also decided that I am going to try and do a vegan challenge. The only thing I really won’t give up is cheese, eggs (only local and organic) and fish. 
This will have to start after I used up all my chicken and barley stew that I just made over the weekend – and a lot of it. 
The reason why I decided on this is because I recently watched a video where egg farms are killing 150,000 male baby chicks a year – for absolutely *no* reason because they just feel that they are useless. This was heartbreaking to me…and this is just an egg farm. What about all the other meat industries in Canada and the US? I can’t imagine – but I will do more research. Therefore, as much as it pains me to waste money – I am going to throw out all those mass produced eggs I purchased at Costco a week ago – just because I have no idea where they came from and I also haven’t got the slightest clue as to whether their production is humane or not. 
What bothers me the most is that many people just go and consume these things, that they have no idea where they originated from! They have no qualms at all by putting something into their mouths and bodies that could a) wreak havoc and destroy their immune systems, organs, etc and b) is done unethically and in return you support these inhumane ways of getting food onto your plate. I am not an animal rights activist, but come on people, use a bit of common sense, here! Don’t you want good, high quality product?? 
I shudder when I think back on what I watched…it’s seared into my brain permanently and no wonder many people don’t watch those videos – it’s heartbreaking. But they choose to be indifferent about what is going on – and sometimes I think that is worse. 
Because if you had seen what I seen, than you would be making quite the similar decision as well. 
Living things don’t need to needlessly suffer – especially not in a cruel and inhumane way – there is absolutely no reason for it. None, whatsoever. So open your eyes, and start making smarter, educated and well-informed choices and in the long run, your body (and your conscious) will thank you for it. 


-S.*

No comments:

Post a Comment