Tuesday, July 29, 2014

::raw:carrot:cake::

I found quite the delightful recipe online today on one of my favorite sites: MindBodyGreen.

I am really trying to transition to a completely organic and healthy way of eating – which takes a bit of work. I work at a huge University with quite the cafeteria…although after working here for nearly 6 years all the food gets soooo boring – YAWN! Not to mention that there are a lot of foods that they sell there that are just so unhealthy. Sure they have a salad bar that caters to some vegans or people that have a gluten intolerance, but I am not sure I would be able to get through a day on a bit of quinoa with carrots. :/ This caf can definitely use some work!

Anyways! I try and eat as healthful as possible and obviously that has worked for me in helping me sustain a 50lb weight loss! But now it’s time to play around a little. :) Since quitting a lot of crappy foods such as refined starches and alcohol I have been craving sweets a little more than a bit lately. I have been hording chocolate like nobody’s business! Another thing, is that I have barely been cooking! That’s right…I used to cook every single night, no matter what time it was, I would try new recipes constantly, but with a full time job, full time school and full time everything else, I just don’t have the time or energy so a lot of the times Travis will make his own dinner {usually pizza, he is a fiend} and I will have salads. Lots of salads. Obsessed with arugula lately. And feta cheese!
So….it’s time to get back into the kitchen and try new things! So this is the first thing I am going to give a try, especially this long weekend that is coming up! 

This recipe is apparently not only healthy but gluten-free, dairy-free and suitable for vegan and Paleo eating plans! :)


Maybe Trav and I can work on this one together. :P




Raw Carrot Cake with Macadamia Frosting
Serves 8-12

Ingredients for macadamia frosting
- 2 cups macadamia nuts, preferably soaked for a couple of hours
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil, melted
- 1/3 cup organic maple syrupe
- water, as needed {I added 3/4 cup}

Ingredients for carrot cake
- 2 large carrots, peeled
- 1-1/2 cups, almond meal
- 2 cups Medjool dates, seeds removed
- 1/2 cup organic shredded or desiccated coconut
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon

Topping
Walnuts {as many as needed}


Directions
To make the macadamia frosting, blend all ingredients in your blender {high speed preferably} until smooth, adding in some water as needed.

To make the cake, chop the carrots into small pieces and then throw into your food processor with the other cake ingredients and pulse until it's all in really small pieces and sticks together. 

To assemble, put half of the cake mix into the bottom of a lined springform cake tin and press firmly with a spoon. Then spread on about 1/3 of the macadamia frosting. Then place into the freezer until the macadamia frosting is hard. 

Then put the rest of the cake mix into the cake tin and press firmly with a spoon. 

Then put the remainder of the macadamia frosting into the cake tin and place back into the freezer until the frosting is hard. 

When ready to serve, take out of the freezer and decorate with walnuts. 

Serve and enjoy!



Relatively simple I would say! Unfortunately I don't have a food processor so am going to have to figure something else out! Let me know if you guys have tried this recipe, or something similar and your thoughts on desserts that you don't bake! :)



-S.*

No comments:

Post a Comment